Monday, January 09, 2006

Let's get SIRIUS

Howard Stern broadcasted from his new channel today. Yeah, baby! Unfortunately for me (or possibly fortunate) my commute to work is only about 20 minutes so I just got the little taste of it. Sounded like the same old Howard with the f word thrown in here and there. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

This weekend I went to Columbus to visit some friends and attend a going away party for my friend Jenn* who is moving to Arkansas, down to the land of Wal-mart. Now, I don't think I have ever really confessed my hatred of Wal-mart to Jenn and I will probably continue to hide it for her sake, but I am not a supporter. I used to design retail packaging and I have seen first hand their goal of driving out all small business in America just to get the consumer rock bottom prices, even if that means strictly only buying from china, Mexico, and Pakistan. I know everyone is all about getting the best deal, but don't cry to me when you can't find a job. Our economy is like a hamster on a wheel and it will be interesting to see what it takes to make it better again. People don't get paid enough so they have to bargain shop. Bargain shopping drives down the need for American made (ie. Union) goods. So they in turn get laid off for trying to save money.

It was good seeing Jenn and all my high school friends though. Sometimes I feel more like I fit in down there then I do with my friends up here, but we don't live there and I think seeing anyone in small doses is better then all the time. I'll miss her. Now onto this week's worth of good-byes, I am seeing my niece tonight for the last time before their big move. I'm going to try not to be too sad but we shall see. Brad has promised to fill the void and entertain me whenever I need it. Plus I just got a bunch of new stampin' up stamps to keep my busy. Filling to void with shopping. If I had a therapist they would be proud.

*the story of Jenn:
Jenn and I met when we were 4. Her mom came over for welcome wagon when my parents moved to Ohio. We emptied out the toy box and Jenn's mom thought Jenn should stay and help clean up and least to say she never left. All the way through out college and until now we have retained that friendship. I like to tell her she is one of the handful of people that HAS to love me. She claims she doesn't have to, she just does. Whatever the situation is I am grateful to be loved by such a wonderful person. Oh and I get free doritos out of the deal too. :) Just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment