Saturday, November 04, 2006

Some more thoughts on the weather

I was driving home from work yesterday, passing all the houses in West Park that have their pumpkins out. Due to the recent snow fall, they are all wearing little white yarmukles. I thought that was too cute. The little white hats almost look like toupees and make the pumpkins seem somewhat more alive and whimsical.

One perk of being from the "country" is that B and I go to an awesome pumpkin farm in Fremont every year. The pumpkins are huge and the prices are low. We fill up the back of the car with all the different sizes, gourds, and hay. The worker comes around and surveys our load and asks "30?" Which is always a more then fair price. This year we only got four large pumpkins and we sat them out on the porch to welcome trick-or-treaters. It was too cold to carve them and we like to make them last until Thanksgiving so they sat out there in all their natural glory. Sure enough, two days after Halloween, 2 were missing. Not smashed in front of our house like last year, but just gone. I like to be optimistic and think that someone who couldn't afford one now has one, but in reality it is probably smeared all over the road some where. Why people think they can take things that don't belong to them, I don't know. I remember being about 8 or 9 and someone smashed our pumpkins. I asked my dad why someone would do that and all he could tell me was "kids". I think when Trey is old enough we will tell him a story about the Pumpkin Fairy that comes and takes the pumpkins back to the patch on Halloween eve. If they aren't stolen, then I will have B throw them away and maybe we can turn something disappointing into something magical.

And next year, I am going to leave a sign on the porch telling anyone to take one if they can't afford one. Then maybe those kids might feel a little guilty. Instead of stealing from me, I will give them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment