Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Little Pink Houses


Tonight after work I braved the weather and headed out to vote. And for those of you not in Ohio, braving the weather is no joke! We got some crazy freezing rain and sleet tonight that made the drive home a wreck, and it is supposed to be worse tomorrow morning. But voting today was important, it is the first time we got the chance (if you are a Democrat) to vote for a woman or black man that could be the potential president.

Voting brought back memories of a time when I was in elementary school. The big election of 1988 was underway, George Bush Sr. vs Michael Dukakis, a Massachusetts senator and son of Greek immigrants. The school divided into the two political parties, Elephants vs. Donkeys (hey, I was in elementary school. It all comes down to which animal is cooler, and let's face it, donkeys just don't cut it, especially against elephants). All the cool kids were Elephants. We had a mock debate (really what did we know??) and went to the "polls". The Elephant party won by a landslide. When I got home that evening, I remember watching TV and in particular a special on Dukakis. I found myself feeling guilty that I voted against him simply because he was a donkey. And that my friends, was my first tentative toe dip into the Democratic pool.

Politics was never forced on me in my house growing up. For years I was not sure how my parents voted and I still don't ask, it seems like prying. We have had some fun discussions, especially with my aunts, and we love to tease my cousin for not following the family (donkeys, sheep, we're all alike). I find it interesting how discussing who you are voting for has become somewhat taboo. Today at work, we all talked about voting, but of course no one dared utter their candidates name. My friends really don't even discuss who they are voting for. Well, camaraderie or not, there comes a time when we all need to make our own decisions. I am comfortable with mine, I was really okay with the outcome either way. We are just ready for a change up here in struggling Cleveland.

If you really want to know who I voted for....highlight to read: Hillary, or should I say Billary. I was a big Clinton fan, despite the blow job scandal. She's got the experience, and I can't say that the thought of a President, and an ex-President, and a man and woman at that, making the decisions is a bad one. If she loses, I will jump on the Obama train and look to the future.

btw...American Idol commentary-Danny Noriega looks just like Jessica Alba, agree or disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment